Tuesday, October 21, 2014


It's restaurant week in WNY, which is a great time to check out new restaurants, or old favorites at a customer friendly price.  Or then again, is it?  It can also be a recipe for disaster if it's not done right.  After all, this is an opportunity for restaurants to attract new business, not to alienate potential new customers.

Years ago, I worked in a restaurant, and by far, the most stressful time was the holiday season.  If all went well, we provided a great dinner to families and friends who all had fabulous service in a cheerful welcoming atmosphere. And on most days, I can say that happened.








  I do remember one New Year's Eve where everything went wrong from the moment dinner started at 5:00.  We had a package deal where everyone pre-ordered their choice at the time they made the reservation.  Many either forgot or decided to change their minds on arrival, which resulted in running out of the most popular choice well before midnight.  I still shudder when I remember an irate male screaming at me in the middle of the dance floor, demanding that I get him the lobster dinner he ordered. (I was the hostess)

So is it a fair way to judge a restaurant?  I think it is.  If a restaurant is well organized and plans things right, this can be a win-win for both the customer and the restaurant.  Things will go wrong during this week.  It's how a restaurant recovers is the important part, and what the customer will remember.  So go out and find your favorite new restaurant, and tell everyone about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment